The Running Resudek

Here you will find all my running ramblings. I started running races in May of 2009 and I haven't stopped since!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Marathon training has come to an end...

And I feel like I've lost a great friend. What I mean by this is: running for me is like a good book for others. You are sad when there is no more to the story. This is the end of another book in my crazy running life.

I ran my last run today, a whopping 2 miles. The 2 mile run is always bittersweet because it's a 2 mile run! What's not to love about it? It's so short! But it's also the end of an 18 week training program. A LOOOOONG 18 weeks. It also means I have to run a marathon in like 2 days!


Yesterday during my 4 mile run, I started getting teary-eyed thinking how close I was to the end of my journey (and I think the guy riding the bike in front of me could hear me breathing harder). Here are the thoughts that were going through my mind last night that I posted to Twitter:

My last run is tomorrow! It's only a 2 miler & MAN is it gonna be emotional. The end of training is like losing a great friend.

Then one hour later, I posted this:

Getting really bad urges to sign up for another marathon already. Must. Resist. Hi-I'm addicted to . I think I need sleep.

Oye. I think I have a serious problem here. I really think I'm addicted. But it could be worse: I could be addicted to food. Or drugs. Or alcohol. Or even hoarding. 

This Saturday will be my third marathon in 13 months. I know I said this will probably be my last marathon. EVER. But I feel like I need to take that back. Running has become such a BIG part of my life. It takes up so much time during those 18 weeks, but it's so rewarding in the end. I feel like I NEED it, and running needs me and my competitive spirit out there on the race course... So I think I'm going to sign up for the lottery for the New York City Marathon. If I don't make it, I would be totally ok with it. But you can bet your @$$ I'll be trying again next year! And the year after that! After trying for 3 years in a row and not getting picked, you automatically get an entry! ;-D  

The 18 weeks it takes to get to the starting line of a marathon can often be TORTURE. This time I wanted to quit my training. SO MANY TIMES. At the end of the day, I just couldn't give in and give up. I pushed through and I'm so glad I did. I feel like it has made me even stronger...

I like to look at my marathon training program as if it was a journey (a torturous, learning experience with a wonderful light at the end of the tunnel - the marathon finish line). I've always called my long runs journeys and often ask myself "what I will learn on my journey today" before heading out. I quite often learn new things about myself that I think would not have been possible if I hadn't been out there in the sunshine for hours on end with just my ipod and my own thoughts. 

With the race a little less than 2.5 days away, I'm really excited for this one! I feel like this WILL be my best marathon to date (as long as this stuffy nose I have goes away!).

Check back in the next two days for two more posts: one on my training favorites and one with my goals for this race! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home